Children of all ages will have a bit of craic (fun) at the Keegan Theatre production of How to Catch a Leprechaun by Mario Baldessari and Ethan Slater! Keegan Theatre is a gem tucked among the row houses in Dupont. Staying true to the Irish tradition of storytelling, the Keegan Theatre produces plays and musicals with authenticity at affordable prices. How to Catch a Leprechaun is a family-friendly musical based on popular Irish folklore.
We begin the musical in Mulligan’s Pub, where Mr. and Mrs. Mulligan amuse you with their accents and green lemonade. It is there you meet Riley O’Really and begin the chase of the leprechaun’s gold. Mr. Mulligan reminds everyone the four steps in the three step plan to catch a leprechaun. Oillin, the mischievous leprechaun, is all too happy to hand over his pot of gold, or is he? The small cast has excellent rapport! They keep the whole family entertained with a combination of clever songs, crowd interaction, ‘taking the piss’ (teasing humor) and juvenile silliness.
The set is Mulligans pub. It is well done and offers some public house authenticity to the silliness. Scene changes are created with small props and described by the actors. The theatre is small, but the seats are arranged so each seat offers a great view of the stage within a family friendly, causal atmosphere. After the show we found Oillin in the lobby and he shared his pot of gold!
Keegan Theatre is a new family favorite and we can’t wait to see The Bockety World of Henry & Bucket! We are also trying to sneak in a date night visit to Keegan Theatre for An Irish Carol before the end of the year!
Know Before You Go:
- Catch this before its gone! Performances through December 27, 2017.
- Tickets are $15 and the show is best for kids 3 and up (although my 1 1/2 year old made it through).
- Purchase a $30 Family 3-PACK Ticket Package and see How to Catch a Leprechaun, The Bockety World of Henry & Bucket, and The Ice Child and see 3 family shows for the price of 2!
- The intimate theatre provides easy viewing even for small kids.
- The performance lasts about an hour with no intermission.
- Refreshments are for sale in the lobby, but they are more tailored for adults than children.
- The theatre itself is not stroller friendly (with several sets of stairs) so plan to leave yours when you enter.
- The theatre is located at 1742 Church Street NW, Washington, DC 20036
- You can get a discount on parking at Colonial Parking (1616 P Street, NW) when you pay online with the promo code KeeganTheatre.
- Keegan PLAY-RAH-KA offers educational programming for families and young people of all ages and experience levels to discover their authentic voices by both watching and doing. Registration and more information on their website.
- Keegan PLAY-RAH-KA offers in-school workshops, residencies, and more. Submit your interest online to discuss programs that work in your school.