Monster Jam was in DC this weekend and families, adorned with ear protection, raced from across the DC area to enjoy a roaring good time! Capital One Arena was transformed. The seats were packed, the dirt was stacked and the crowd was roaring along with the engines. I was surprised how much my kids loved it because they are young and it’s loud. We all loved it! The decorated trucks roaring and soaring through Capital One Arena were just my kids’ speed. Naturally, they loved the Scooby-Doo and Monster Mutt Dalmatian trucks the best. We were all also thrilled to see female drivers and even a kids ATV race during a break. The stunts, tricks and races sometimes resulted in accidents which are a great opportunity to remind your little ones that everyone makes mistakes and gets hurt, but it’s important to get back up!
The Monster Jam competition is comprised of 5 main events:
- Timed Races through an obstacle course showcasing the driver’s ability and the truck’s agility.
- The Two-Wheel Skills Challenge for drivers to perform stunts that bring at least two wheels into the air.
- Performing Donuts requires the drivers to rotate the truck as many times and as quickly as possible.
- Head -to-Head Racing along a prescribed course.
- Freestyle driving allowing the drivers to show off all their best tricks and stunts.
The crowd gets to be the judges with the online scoring at judgezone.com. The judging criteria are announced before each judged event. We loved the interactive component of participating in the scoring process. The winner of each event is awarded points and the driver with the most points is the Event Champion. The competition is just getting started though. Monster Jam World Finals XX will be May 10-11, 2019 at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Florida. There is a ton of hype over the 2019 all-new format which includes new competitions and championships! Don’t worry if you missed all the Monster fun this weekend because Monster Jam is returning to the area with shows in Baltimore Mar. 1-3, 2019.
- Get there early because it is a very popular event and the lines to get in the arena will be long!
- Monster Jam is a fun family activity, but not suitable for everyone. The loud engines, exhaust smell and flashing lights are an ideal environment for some.
- Monster Jam Tire novelty ear protection and disposable ear plugs are sold while supplies last at each event.
- Vendors selling snacks up and down the aisles are cash only.
- Get up close to some of the Trucks and Drivers on the venue floor with the Pit Party.
I am a Feld Family Ambassador, and in exchange for my time and efforts in attending shows and reporting my opinion within this blog, as well as keeping you advised of the latest discount offers, Feld Entertainment has provided me with complimentary tickets to Feld shows and opportunities to attend private Feld pre-Show events. Even though I receive these benefits, I always give an opinion that is 100% mine.