- This event has passed.
Kennedy Center Chinese New Year Family Day
February 17, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pmFree
All ages are welcome to this fun-filled day of activities and entertainment! Family Day is part of the Kennedy Center’s annual Lunar New Year festivities, this year celebrating the Year of the Dog with three days of special events showcasing the arts and culture of China’s Chengdu Plain. The region is home to most of the world’s giant pandas—including D.C.’s very own Bao Bao!
At Family Day, you can:
- Watch footage of Bao Bao (who recently moved to Chengdu from the National Zoo) and write a letter to her.
- Turn yourself into a panda or wear a traditional Chinese costume at our dress-up photo booth.
- Learn the arts of paper umbrella coloring, paper cutting and block printing.
- Observe masters at work with calligraphy, sugar painting, and Chinese makeup.
- Surround yourself with performances in folk dancing, acrobatics, and shadow puppetry.
- Enjoy hands-on fun at our traditional Chinese instrument “petting zoo,” dog and panda mask coloring, and more.
- Discover your Zodiac animal and get a sticker.
- A tour of the Kennedy Center in Mandarin will be given at 10 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
IMPORTANT PARKING ADVISORY FOR FAMILY DAY
Parking for Family Day is available to patrons on a first-come, first-served basis at standard parking rates. It is possible for the parking garage to become full on busy performance days, as this Saturday is expected to be. Other off-site parking is available at the Watergate garage and Columbia Plaza at 2400 Virginia Avenue., but on a limited basis. (Enter the Watergate garage from New Hampshire Avenue opposite the Saudi Embassy.) Convenient public transportation options are also available for getting to Family Day. Consult our parking, public transportation, and directions guide for more information, to help you get the most from your Family Day experience!