This post includes affiliate links or sponsored content. Read our full Disclosure here.
Indoor play is redefined at Badlands. This nature-inspired play space in Rockville, MD provides an interactive environment where children can take risks, succeed at challenging themselves, and find their own way. The 30,000 square foot facility brings the outdoors in with an open play area that includes a mountain for climbing (& sliding back down), trees to walk through and faux grass hills to traverse. The open play area allows for unstructured, multi-aged play which enhances confidence, creativity, and collaboration. There is also structured activities inside the Workshop that allow parents and children to create and design together complete with tools, workbenches, and tinkering stations with real materials. Badlands proudly offer hands-on experiences in the Workshop which foster a growth-mindset.
Badlands isn’t just fun for kids. The Café offers food, from a locally sourced menu, and beverages (including beer, specialty coffees & wine by the glass). There is a selection for children including mac’n’cheese, pizza & donuts. There are also healthy options for everyone like fruit, salads, sandwiches, etc. The porch like design of the café creates an open line of sight to some of the open play area. This is convenient for parents who want to sit (& relax or work) while their children play.
Kids of all ages can learn through play!
- Toddler time is a three hour period full of programs specially developed for kids under age 5. Every Tuesday through Thursday 10am to 1pm toddlers can enjoy: Sensory & Imaginative Play, Stop & Play, Dance Party & Story time. Reserve your spot HERE!
- Nerf Night is an evening of team based fun for kids ages 7+ on the first Friday of every month.
- Four spacious event pavilions for birthdays and events.
- Interactive experiences change every three months. We enjoyed the Lego World exhibit!
- Weekly Summer Camps for Grades K – 4th (ages: 5 – 9) enjoy a combination of free play, individual creation stations, and large-scale collaborative art pieces.
Badlands is committed to:
- Create moments that inspire wonder and awe.
- Empower children to realize what they are truly capable of.
- Be passionate about play.
- Always grow.
- Create a conscious community.
These core values are evident in the actions of the staff. We were consistently impressed by the staff interactions with children. We saw staff walking hand in hand with young ones and engaging in play with them, offering conflict resolution for friends who were having a disagreement, suggesting activities to distract an upset child, assisting children on the mountain, and energetically answering questions. This being said, the staff are not overly involved or obtrusive in any way.