Theodore Roosevelt Island, located off of the GW Parkway (700 George Washington Memorial Parkway McLean, VA 22101), is one of our favorite places to visit on a nice afternoon!
This little island has several kid friendly walking trails, all of which have beautiful views of the water. In the center of the island there is a large, paved clearing with a huge statue of Teddy Roosevelt himself, surrounded by huge tablets featuring some of his most famous quotes, as well as beautiful fountains!
Since the walk is pretty short to the center of the island from the entrance (if you’re using the middle of the fork trail), it is an ideal place to bring a picnic! My kids love running around the open clearing.
Take either the left or right fork trails for a longer walk to the center!
Know before you go:
- The parking lot is right off the GW Parkway, and is free, but limited (though we have never had a problem getting a spot after waiting just a few minutes for someone to leave)
- Also accessible via the Mount Vernon Trail
- Special events such as the Junior Ranger program available; check the website for details
- Dog friendly!
- No concession stands
- Make sure to read the information board at the entrance, the island has a really interesting history!
- Stroller do-able if you take the center trail
- The whole island is very shaded
- There are two walking bridges once you enter the parking lot. If you are standing looking at the water, go to the bridge on the right side. The bridge on the left will not take you to the island.
Leave a Reply